Wikipedia's page on espresso defines espresso as:
a coffee-brewing method of Italian origin, in which a small amount of nearly boiling water (about 90 °C or 190 °F) is forced under 9–10 bars (900–1,000 kPa; 130–150 psi) of pressure (expressed) through finely-ground coffee beans.
In conversation, many other coffee brew(er)s are sometimes referred to as espresso (machines). For example:
Single serve pods: Is Nespresso 'real' espresso?
Super-automatic bean-to-cup machines. According to Wikipedia: "Saeco, is an Italian manufacturer of manual, super-automatic and capsule espresso machines"
In both of these examples, the coffee is usually not brewed at the 9+ bars of pressure. While it may be socially acceptable to refer to all low-volume coffee drinks as espresso, our tagging system is aimed at grouping related questions.
In this question I'm looking to draw a distinction between the different brewing methods and related machines so that we can tag questions consistently.
The following tags are less clear (in some cases):
- Nespresso Virtuoline long pull vs short pull (about Nespresso)
- Reusable Nespresso pixie capsules (about Nespresso)
- Does which grind setting you use also depend on the beans used? (about an unspecified bean to cup machine)
- Delonghi Magnifica - pump stops after 10 seconds with fault lights (about a bean to cup machine)
This question may seem to look at two issues:
- Whether we should do something about the espresso and espresso-machine tags being added to other questions, and
- Whether the tags we have currently for different brewing methods are confusing. In some cases there is overlap, in other cases new users are inclined to use espresso-related tags because that's how their machines are marketed and referred to in general conversation.
Nevertheless, I think it makes sense to raise this in a single question because it's all about inconsistent tagging in relation to different coffee machines.
Do you think this is a problem that needs to be addressed? Should we have clearer tag guidance? Should we remove some of the (broader) tags (in favor of more specific ones)? Do you think it's not really a problem if questions are tagged inconsistently?
If you don't have an answer but like to discuss this more casually, feel free to ping me / raise some points in chat.